Monday, March 24, 2014

But How Will They EVER Be Socialized?!?!?!

We did so well last week. We stayed on task, got all of our lessons and then some done. Even with the math not coming until Thursday, I felt it was a success. Today, neither Thing 2 nor I seemed to really be into it. We got through our morning lessons grudgingly, ate lunch and then the baby took a nap (he will not nap unless I am holding him). I let Thing 2 have a break while the baby as napping and we just haven't gotten back into lessons since, even though the baby has been up for a while.

I think part of the issue is that Thing 2 was at his father's house this weekend. Going to visit his father usually consists of him playing video games, watching crap on TV and eating garbage. I know I probably sound bitter, but it really is the truth. We feed our family a 100% GMO free, organic diet and we also avoid as much MSG, artificial anything and refined sugars as possible. My ex husband (and his parents) basically think we're whacked out hippies (because, you know, we read books and don't just listen to the Almighty Idiot Box telling us there's no difference between organic and conventional, but I digress). You can really see the wonderful effect that good, whole food has after he goes away and eats processed, artificial non-food for a few days.

Since his father was never really terribly involved with his education (they seem to be a "the school will take care of it" type), I didn't involve him at all in my decision to homeschool. Many people might think this is wrong. Maybe it is. It's also wrong for the burden of rearing a child to lie solely on one parent while the other basically hits the reset button every time the child is with them by letting them do things which are normally restricted or not allowed at his home. So there you have it.

Anyway, I would think, if the other parent is involved at least a little, you should probably discuss your decision to homeschool, if not let them in on the decision making process. Here's what I did: I wrote a letter. I addressed it to him AND his parents (they're with Thing 2 as much as if not more than his father). I let them know what curriculum we'd be following (I threw in a William & Mary name drop here and there), what books they could read to learn about the curriculum and homeschool, a list of supplies they could help out with and I let them know they could direct any questions to ME (and hopefully not to my son in offhand negative remarks).

Be prepared for the ever popular "how will he be socialized" question. It really proves my point about social engineering via the Idiot Box that EVERYONE asks this question. Really? THAT is your first question? I'm pulling my child out of public school to give him this fancy schmancy "Classical Education" and your first question is about "socialization"?????

The Well Trained Mind gives a good little snippet:

"Thirty years ago [actually, now more like 40 some], Cornell Professor of Child Development Urie Bronfenbrenner warned that the "socially-isolated, age-graded peer group" created a damaging dependency in which middle-school students relied on their classmates for approval, direction and affection. He warned that if parents, other adults, and older children continued to be absent from the active daily life of younger children, we could expect "alienation, indifference, antagonism, and violence on the part of the younger generation."

I think the point there has been proven very well over the past decade or so.

Also, go talk to a homeschooled kid. The only "awkward" thing I have ever seen about the homeschooled children I have interacted with is that they are confident and well spoken. It's funny how we find these traits strange in children rather than desirable. Apparently, a child is only normal if they are rude to adults or very unsure of themselves?? Seriously, I have a hard time understanding how well spoken children can be considered "awkward"...


We got the Life of Fred Elementary series today. I really didn't want to drop another $150, but these came so so highly recommended all over the place and, like I said before, I am really nervous about math and want all the help we can get. Hopefully I can do a small review on them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment