Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Common Core

I'm not going to go into a great deal of detail about Common Core Standards except to say:

1. It's a sham
2. It trains children to be 9-5 worker-bee, button-pusher cogs in the machine
3. It's part of a grander scheme

Watch the following video. It's probably the most succinct criticism of Common Core in existence. 


Then, watch the next video. You will totally be like "WTF??" ;-)

Seriously, I was completely dumbfounded at this. I couldn't even wrap my mind around the absurdity...


You can go down the youtube rabbit-hole from here.

I do recommend reading Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling by John Taylor Gatto (and any other book by Gatto, for that matter!).

If this isn't enough reason to take your kids out of the failing, unconstitutional public school system, I don't know what is.

Now, the reason I posted all of this...

I use some books and software from The Critical Thinking Company. It's recommended in WTM. The more I look at their site and catalog, the less I like it. Common Core branding is plastered all over everything. They also seem to have a strong focus on "test scores". Like, training kids to score well on standardized tests. It seems education has become nothing more than standardized test scores. I get the feeling that children are not taught to actually learn something, they are taught to score well on tests so that schools can get MORE money (the amount of money paid through local school taxes alone is nauseating, but they seem to "need" even more from my Federal taxes too! UNREAL!).

I am getting to the point where, if I see "Common Core" on abook or piece of leaning material, I do not purchase it. This might be doing a disservice to our little homeschool, because I might be missing out on good stuff, but I just do NOT trust it.

No comments:

Post a Comment